LUCKNOW: A Shia woman solemnising marriage of a Sunni couple....If that was not scandalous enough, the 'nikah', that made Lucknow sit up in disbelief, was to have only women as witnesses. Twenty-nine could be a trifle young to make history, but then Naish Hasan, an economics post-graduate and a woman rights activist, managed to do it within half-an-hour flat on Monday night by opting for an all-woman 'nikah' even as 'maulvis' scoffed and scowled in the background.

"Someone has to make a beginning and break the shackles of male dominance in Islam. I have volunteered," Naish told TOI in a matter-of-fact tone. "I consider myself fortunate for there are not many who can practise what they preach," she added.

"This is a message I want to send across to young girls and a protest I want to lodge against subjugation of women.

" Her pre-conditions were no less unusual. "I have told Imran I will not dress up as a traditional bride. There will be no 'vidai'; there will be no 'barat' and no dowry will be given," she says. The 'nikahnama' she proudly displayed categorically mentioned that the husband will not have the right to pronounce triple 'talaq' at a sitting and the wife will also have a right to pronounce talaq if she so desired.

"My humble attempt to demolish the patriarchal mind set," she smiled